MENU

Monday, November 23, 2009

Another Great Day Off

Anyone who knows me knows that I am FAR from being a workaholic. Probably about as far as you can get actually...

So today I had the day off. Usually I go back into Calgary when I have time off, but I decided since I only have 2 weeks left in Canmore (yikes!) I better take advantage of being in such a beautiful place!

I got up this morning, threw a lunch and my cross country skiis in my car, and headed up to Lake Louise. I haven't been there in years! Such a cute little place though.

I haven't been out cross country skiing yet this year, and I was talking to my dad last night and he suggested the Moraine Lake road. Sounded good enough to me! I couldn't really remember how far the road was, but I was kind of expecting something similar to the Cameron Lake road in Waterton...a nice little ski, not too far, have some lunch and head back. Well when I pulled into the parking lot to sign said 11kms to the lake. That should have been my first red flag. Did I forget that was ONE WAY? I think the farthest I had ever cross country skiied was to Crandell lake...that's what, like, 2 kms one way? If that?

Anyways, lets just say I was a little intimidated as I started skiing (at a snail's pace, might I add...) up the road, when 2 middle aged ladies FLEW past me up the hill. That happened more than once throughout the day...I kept on skiing though! Now, usually I am anti-technology when I am out enjoying nature, but after about an hour, I was more than happy that I had brought along my little ipod shuffle to keep me company for the next few hours

This song may have been played several times throughout my adventure:


Well after 2 and a half hours, I made it! Sort of...turns out the ski trail doesn't actually go all the way to the lake, so I just had to admire it from afar!
(P.S. I also forgot my camera in Calgary, so I swiped all these pictures from Google...you get the jist though...)
I make it sound like this was a terrible experience. It really wasn't. I just came to the realization that my cross country skiing skills are less than prestine, to say the least. Turns out 20k is a ways to ski! The weather was perfect...just warm enough, and snowing lightly. I love that! And Lake Louise has so much snow right now so everything looks so pretty! I really did enjoy it...I promise!
After my little journey, my legs needed a rest (4 hours of non-stop cross-country skiing will do that to you!), so I headed up to the Chateau Lake Louise.
I am in love with this place! Everything is covered in snow and gorgeous, and they have all their Christmas decorations up. It made me want to have a cabin Christmas so bad!
I was about ready for dinner when I got here, so I stopped by a little deli in the hotel for a bite to eat. A delicious Mandarin Chicken Salad sounded pretty good, and since I was a smart one and didn't take water on my ski trip, a liter of water sounded like a good solution to my dehydration.
World's most expensive liter of water that is. My total bill was $15.17. My salad cost $8.50. Do the math. Was it worth it? Yes.

Oh P.S. It's the World Cup in Lake Louise this weekend. The Italian skiiers are staying at the Chateau Lake Louise. I may have a secret crush on them all...

Well then I headed toward home and stopped in Banff for a bit to do a little Christmas shopping...
Why is it that when you are Christmas shopping, you ALWAYS find things for yourself? Am I the only one that experiences that? Well, I did exercise some self control, but I love this jacket:

I like everything about it. I like that its cozy. I like that its the Canada Olympic line (I'm patriotic like that?). I like the thumbholes. I like the neck (it has some cool collar/hood thing going on). I don't like that its expensive.
To finish my night off, I made a quick stop at Second Cup for some Candy Cane Hot Chocolate. Sooo good!
Well there you have it! My wonderful day off in the mountains. And I have another day off tomorrow! Sunshine here I come!

5 comments :

  1. you had a dang good day! i can't believe you went by yourself skiing all day though, i thought it was bad when i went to a movie by myself in waterton in the summer....and you can never actually go wrong with thumbholes...trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are trying to make me jealous, you are succeeding. Serves me right for always hiking in Waterton without you. Two words: winter camping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks Awesome Ame! I wish I had that much fun on my days off...Instead I immunized people all morning and will be doing my paper all afternoon...Oh well 2 weeks to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HATE cross country skiing. i wish I loved it. but its SO hard! I can't believe you did 20k! I think my dad would like you lots!

    ReplyDelete