MENU

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Waterton: Where the Dudley Family Has Fun!

I feel like this post has been a long time coming, so here it is! (Warning...there are a TON of pictures. And I mean a TON!)

A couple of weeks ago I went down to Waterton during my time off. We had the transition week at the Dahl Cabin, so we got to go for almost 2 weeks (as opposed to the usual 1 week).

IT WAS A BLAST!

I got to Waterton Tuesday night and met Grandma, Angie and the kids, and Lauren there. Lauren couldn't stay in Waterton the whole time, so she came up a little earlier than the rest of the gang so we could get some hiking in. We started out on Wednesday hoping to do Akamina Ridge, but it was skill covered in snow, so we just went to Forum and Wall Lake instead. It was so much fun to see Lauren again and do a little bit of hiking with her!
Photobucket

Photobucket

By Friday most of the crew was there, and Jessica, Ashley, Lauren and I decided to go for a "big girl's" hike up Vimy. This was the first time I have hiked Vimy and I have to say, its definately one of my favorites!
Photobucket
We took our bikes and rode about 6km, then hiked the rest of the way up. I loved it. Everyone kept making me ride in the front though because I was "One with the bears," of which we saw 3.
Photobucket

We crossed streams...(while freezing our ankles off!)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Saw a few lovely tracks...didn't run into this one luckily (note the scar on my shin. that would be from the canoe trip I mentioned a month or so ago)
Photobucket
After we had been hiking for about 4 hours or so, we got to a snowy patch. We were all getting a little tired and a little less enthusiastic, when all of a sudden Jessica slipped in the snow and ran straight into a tree
Photobucket

So what does Lauren do? Starts laughing so hard she pees her pants.
Photobucket

Well that lightened the mood! haha.
Photobucket

Photobucket

We took the 2 way radios with us so we could talk to the family back at the cabin as we were hiking. At one point we were trying to get a hold of everyone, and this is how the conversation went:

Lauren: "Hello?"
Random lady: "Hello?"
Lauren: "Is this Angie?"
Random lady: "Who?"
Lauren: "Angie. Is grandma there?
Random lady: ...(no response)
Lauren: "Base camp come in. This is the Vimy Summit team"
Random lady: "Wrong grandma!"

And with that she changed channels on us. Kinda funny.

Photobucket

Photobucket

One of the best views I've seen! Me with Mt. Cleaveland and Crypt Lake in the background
Photobucket

The townsite. When we FINALLY got a hold of the crew at the cabin we had already been on our way down for 2 hours, but we pulled a little prank and told them we were just at the top.

Mom: "Where are you guys?"
Jessica: "We're just at the top right now. We can see the cabin, can you see us?"
Mom:...(long pause)
Jessica: "Good joke or bad joke?"

Well, apparently they didn't hear that part...

Kara: "Where are you guys? We're outside with the binoculars but we can't see you"
Jessica: (now deciding to just go with the joke) "We're right on top. I'm wearing a green jacket and Lauren is wearing blue."
Kara: "Where? I don't see you!"
Jessica: "Well we're up here. Its really cold so we're going to head down now"
Kara: "Okay. You guys better hurry!"

(at this point it was 5:30 and we had been gone for 7 hours. I can only imagine the stress of our mothers/grandmother back at that cabin)

Needless to say, they were a little surprised when we showed up back at the cabin less than an hour later
Photobucket

Photobucket

"Vimit Summy Team"
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The next few days we just lounged around the townsite. Mom and Dad showed up with the trailer (the Dahl cabin just isn't big enough for all of us these days so we had a couple trailers in the campground too). We had PERFECT weather all week...except for one day. This poor, poor tent. May it rest in peace.
Photobucket

Sunday was also a great day in Waterton. I'll tell you one thing...if you want to get out of church in Waterton, take a bunch of little kids with you. The building can only accommodate 40 Primary kids and I think there were 80 when we were there, so we could only have Sacrament meeting. Which left plenty of time for a nice Sunday afternoon nap.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Later on Sunday afternoon we had the chance to go see Josh get baptized in Waterton Lake. It was such a cool experience! And Josh said the water wasn't even cold!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Monday was reunion day. Almost everyone was there! (Matt, Shannon, Isaac, Eli, Chase, Tyler, Erin, Payton, & Lauren we missed you!) The WHOLE family (Grandma and Grandpa included) hiked up to Wall Lake and had such a fun time, cliff jumping, swimming, sliding down Glaciers, fishing, skipping rocks, and taking pictures.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Every year my Grandma Dudley makes us pajama t-shirts for Christmas with our grandkid number on the back (I'm #6!). This past year ours were brown and said "Waterton: Where the Dudley Family Has Fun". Well, they kind of turned into our reunion shirts and we all wore them on the hike...the adults even got their own shirts made in white.
Photobucket
Our little fam jam
Photobucket

All the siblings...whose family is this anyway? Gotta love em!
Photobucket

The crew!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mahem at the cabin, as per usual.
Photobucket

Later on Monday we had a little program/talent show. Let me tell you, the Dudley Family has talent! We had quite the broad range from singing, to dancing, to wrestling, to kazoo, to pole climbing. Of course the "Red Red Robin" is always a favorite! (a tap number my mom did waaayyy back when she was growing up)
Photobucket

Apparently Tim had never seen the "Red Red Robin," so he decided to show us his hidden talent: Micheal Jackson dancing.
Photobucket

Tuesday, we decided to lounge at Emerald Bay, since we were heading back into Raymond for the July 1st (and Grandma's birthday!) celebrations later that night.
Photobucket

Somehow I ended up with all 7 kids out in the dingy by myself...how did that happen?
Photobucket

Of course, the kids didn't want to stay INSIDE the bay...(aka "Bay of Boring"). They wanted to venture out to the "Bay of Fun!". And I'm a little bit of a pushover. So we did. And it was fantastic.
Photobucket

Wednesday was July 1st/Grandma's Birthday! We started off the day with a pancake breakfast, then headed to the parade. Grandpa fixed up the little chariot and him and Grandma rode with all the little kids in the parade. They even won first place!
Photobucket

Those kids seriously had the time of their lives...although I think Grandma and Grandpa might have enjoyed it just as much!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Next on the list of July 1st traditions: Aunt Carols! I've always loved going out there for a little lunch, visiting, and the hunt for colored rocks. The Zobrists had just pulled into town, so we had a quick little Hawaii reunion.
Photobucket

The girls and our moms
Photobucket

Then off to the rodeo! We missed it last year because Uncle Kevin wasn't roping, but it was good to be back this year.

Photobucket
Uncle Kev tied his calf in 9.8 seconds, the winning time! This was his second time winning the Raymond Stampede, and he was pretty happy about it. I grabbed my camera just as he was getting ready to rope and was pretty excited about this picture:
Photobucket

The new buckle

Photobucket

Thanking the crowd

Photobucket

After the rodeo most of the family headed back up to Waterton. I wasn't in a huge rush, so I stayed in Raymond to play some mud football out at Zemps. SO. MUCH. FUN! They have the perfect set up too! We played football/rugby for a while, went for a quick dip in the pond, showered with the makeshift showers (scaffolding + sprinklers hanging upside down = genius), and huddled around the fire. Throw in some fireworks and it was a successful Canada Day!

. Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thursday morning I headed back up to Waterton (after getting AMA to come unlock my car because I had locked my keys in it...) and we headed up Bear's Hump. As intense as it is for the half hour you are hiking...its definately worth it. The last time I hiked it was in knee deep snow, which also made the hike seem a little easier than I had remembered.
Photobucket

Photobucket

When we got down we had a quick bite to eat, then headed up Cameron Road for some cliff jumping! Tim and Kev found us a new little spot to jump...about 40 feet. It was a little freaky because its just into a pool that's kind of narrow, but it was so much fun! (Mom got some great pictures too...I love the facial expressions)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Tim couldn't let Blake and Hayden outjump him, so he jumped off the 50 footer. You had to jump farther out to avoid the rocks at the bottom, and I think this picture may explain Tim's bruises after this jump...
Photobucket

Photobucket

After the cliffs, mom, dad, Jessica, Blake, and I went for a little drive up to Red Rock. On the drive home, Jessica, being the loving sister she is, grabs my headband off my head...and throws it out the sunroof! Now, my dad has always been fair, so what does he do? makes her get out and get it...then starts driving away! It was pretty entertaining watching her chase after us down the road. That'll show her...
Photobucket

Thursday night was the most beautiful night I have ever seen in Waterton! My mom and I grabbed a tripod and our cameras and headed up to the Prince of Whales to get some pictures...these were all taken at midnight.
Photobucket

Photobucket
We even caught a picture of the Prince of Whales ghost, Miranda!Photobucket

Photobucket

Thursday night was one of many nights of bushing. This time Karl lost and had to eat an entire package of hotdogs! She did it though, and Tim couldn't have been more proud. The integrity of the game still stands!

Photobucket

Sunday I headed back up to Edmonton and went through a crazy rain storm! It was beautiful though!
Photobucket

Well there you have it, the play by play of my time in Waterton with the fam. This is FOR SURE my favorite place on earth, and I am so lucky to have grown up having the opportunity to spend time in Waterton every summer. I love love love it!

9 comments :

  1. Oh Man you always have so much fun!! you better marry landon so we can all come have fun with you!! 5 more days!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i had just looked at all your pics on facebook, but loved seeing them again. that last picture of the storm is AMAZING. i love it. we are headed to waterton on thursday for about a week, and now i'm dying to leave even more, after seeing your fun times!!! ahhhhhh......good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING. Looks like you had a fun and busy week! I'm sad I missed you though. What else is new. We'll have to get together someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you guys have the funnest family!! Love all your pictures!! We just did bears hump yesterday with all four kids they loved it! THey were awesome! You are so fun I miss your family!! Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how fun is that. great way to start off the summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this waterton post was priceless! i loved the pictures with the ghost on top of the POW hill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooooo...
    congrats for writing the LONGEST post ever. My finger's hurting from scrolling...
    I loved it though. Your pictures are fabulous, and you guys have way too much fun. It's awesome. I veto Jennie's comment and say you marry Corey to be in MY family. Yeah, yeah. Wishful thinking from like 5 years ago. I know. I'll get over it....one day...you're just my FAVORITE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hotdogs!!
    that storm picture is awesome

    ReplyDelete